As discussed in my previous post, finding Halloween costumes as a woman is challenging. So, instead of buying something that is premade, I usually hit up thrift shops and discount stores to create my own costume. You can read all my tips on how to get started, as well as the first two of my four costume boards, by clicking the link above.
Below are my final two costume boards and shopping lists. This time we cover two more female icons, one for style (Audrey Hepburn’s Holly Golightly from “Breakfast at Tiffany’s”) and one for aviation (Amelia Earhart).
1. LBD (Little Black Dress) (you will never be able to replicate Holly’s exactly, so just buy a LBD that makes you feel like a million bucks)
2. False eyelashes (her make-up wasn’t bold but she had amazing lashes, so do falsies if you can, and if not, use a bold mascara)
3. Pink lipstick (for this item and the eyelashes, stop by your local drug store or dollar store to purchase these)
4. Black sunglasses
5. Black evening gloves
6. Black heels (just like the LBD, find a pair that’s comfortable, no need to find an exact replica of Holly’s shoes)
7. Multi-stranded pearl necklace
8. Mini-tiara (you may have to head online for this one)
9. (not pictured) If you want to get fully into character, grab a croissant and coffee, and head to your local Tiffany’s.
1. Brown leather or canvas jacket (just find a brown, or even black, jacket that has a similar style to an aviator jacket)
2. Khaki pants
3. Brown knee-high boots
4. Goggles (if you can’t find them thrifting, try a motorcycle shop)
5. Brown trapper hat (if you can’t find it thrifting, try a sporting goods/hunting store)
6. White t-shirt
7. Cream/White/Tan scarf
Have you ever put together your own costume before? Or are you going to this year? Share your ideas and success stories below (and share your pictures with us via Facebook or Instagram (tag them with #thewildernessgirls) if you have them).